Skip to main content Skip to main navigation menu Skip to site footer

Quantification analysis of tissue eosinophilia in squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck region

Abstract

Background and aim: Tumor-associated tissue eosinophilia (TATE) is commonly present in different neoplasms, yet its relationship with cancers has not been established. Squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) is one of the most common malignancies of the head and neck region. The aim of this study was to evaluate the relationship between TATE and histological grading of head and neck SCC (HNSCC) using Luna staining technique.

Materials and methods: In the present descriptive study, 67 samples consisting of 4-µm cross-sections of HNSCC tissue stained with hematoxylin and eosin (H&E) were re-evaluated for histological grading. The samples were divided into three categories of well differentiated, moderately differentiated, and poorly differentiated. Luna histochemical staining was used to evaluate infiltration of eosinophils in the tumor. Eosinophils were randomly counted in 10 microscopic fields and divided into 4 categories. Kruskal-Wallis test and Spearman's correlation coefficient were used to evaluate the relationship between eosinophilic infiltration and other relevant factors.

Results: The frequency of tissue eosinophilia was zero in only one case (1.5%) and was positive in the rest 66 cases (98.5%). The mean count of eosinophils was 7.5±4.5 cells per high-power field (HPF). There was a significant relationship between histopathological grading and TATE (p = 0.04). However, there were no significant relationships between TATE and factors such as age, gender, and lesion location.

Conclusion: The tissue eosinophil counts in the group with poorly differentiated SCC of the head and neck region were less than those in the two other groups; regardless, no significant relationship was found with other clinicopathological factors.

 

How to Cite

Sabzijate, M., Khatibi, A., Ghiasian, T., Rahrotaban, S., Rastegar, E., & Eftekharian, S. (2018). Quantification analysis of tissue eosinophilia in squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck region. Bali Medical Journal, 7(1), 165–169. https://doi.org/10.15562/bmj.v7i1.787

HTML
7

Total
2

Share