Introduction: Nutrients are related to the growth and development of children. In addition to nutrition, physical activity is no less important in the process of child growth and development that can be carried out in the home or school environment. Children with disabilities sometimes can’t get the optimum nutrients required for their body and it is hard to do physical activities. It is necessary to study eating patterns and physical activities and the incidence of obesity in children with disabilities. The purpose of the study was to determine the description of eating patterns, physical activity and the incidence of obesity in children with disabilities.
Methods: The research method used was a quantitative design with a cross sectional approach. Subjects were recruited by purposive sampling technique. Diet was determined by a food frequency questionnaire. Physical activity was measured by the standard Global Physical Activity Questionnaire. Univariate analysis was used to describe the distribution of frequency and percentage. Bivariate analysis was used to determine the relationship of diet and physical activity with the incidence of obesity.
Results: The result is that 50% of Bangunputra Special Educational Needs (SEN) School’s students are obese, 25% are normal, and 25% tend to be thin. The eating pattern of students with disabilities resulted in 43.8% being balanced and the remaining 56.2% consuming excessively on staple foods. In physical activity, 45.2% did physical activity and the remaining 54.5% did not do physical activity. Low physical activity can be caused by children with autism who have motor disorders that can affect them. Parenting patterns are related to socio-economic status, because the majority of parents of Bangunputra SEN School students do not restrain or limit any child's wishes.
Conclusion: The results showed that the incidence of obesity in children with disabilities is related to the knowledge of eating patterns and physical activity. Parents and the school environment play an essential role in providing better care for people with disabilities.