Background: Involutional entropion is the inward turning of the eyelid margin and commonly happens in the inferior eyelids in elderly people. The prevalence is as high as 2.1% in people â‰¥ 60 years old and more common in women than men. This condition may cause ocular surface irritation and discomfort secondary to contact between cilia and the ocular surface. Several etiological factors are suspected to be important causes of involutional entropion. One of them was horizontal eyelid laxity. Quickert Procedure is one of the surgical interventions recommended to correct involutional lower eyelid entropion in the elderly Asian population with 0% of recurrent entropion in a recent study by Miyamoto et al.
Methods: This is a descriptive retrospective study of 16 involutional lower eyelid entropion patients (18 eyelids) that needed surgical correction. Â About ten males and six females were undergone Quickert procedure to correct the involutional entropion. Patients were assessed postoperatively for 24 months to evaluate the recurrence entropion, cosmetic, and functional improvement. Data were analyzed by SPSS version 20 for Windows.
Results: This study included 16 patients, with mean age was 69.8 years old which range from 62-85 years old. They consisted of 9 (56.0%) patients were male, and the rest was female (44.0%). Eleven (61.0%) patients were with left eye laterality, and 10 (63.0%) patients found without anticoagulant consumption. All patients (100.0%) had positive snapback test and achieved >6 mm in distraction test. After surgical intervention, no patients (0.0%) were found to experience recurrence of involutional entropion nor ocular discomfort due to prior surgery.
Conclusion: A detailed assessment of the etiology, accurate preoperative evaluation, and precision in addressing patients underlying eyelid anatomic abnormalities are needed in the selection of appropriate surgical procedures to correct entropion.